resume linkedin my work

SIZE CHARTS

UX/UI REDESIGN & PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS

Although Zulily provides a wide range of products, one of the bigger reason for return was due to incorrect size and fit. This was largely due to low consistency and high misinformation of size charts we would display.

With recent impact of ADA compliance, Zulily was in need of a new size chart system that not only elevated the UI of how size charts was displayed but also to improve the information that was being shown to our customers.

My role in this project was to expand the approved designs across 7 categories and correlating sub-categories, as well as adding additional how-to-measure guides where it was needed. Additionally, I had to come up with a quicker process to help Merchants upload their size chart correctly and with the consistency across their team.


One of the biggest challenges I had with this project was creating milestones and deadlines that we could stick to. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had switched PMs (Project Managers) three times, switched backs-end dev teams twice, and lacked support for front-end devs.

I was constantly to ramping up the new members up to speed. With new PMs new goals were emerging. The purpose and vision of the process shifted, while the timeline was growing short.

Getting the project back on track was one of the greater challenges I have faced in my career.

Finally, we locked down a team of one PM, two devs (one front-end, one back-end), and one designer (me). I was ready to steam roll this project into something useful by our ever closing deadline.

Inconsistency was a common theme that played in our size charts. We had a mixture of image based size charts, size charts with incomplete information, and various naming convention for the same size.

We learned quickly that this problem spread due to the lack of process and number of people uploading size charts. To come up with a solution, we focused on who should take responsibility for these size charts and to create a process that worked for them, which was the Merchants.


There was no standard or vetting for naming convention or formatting. Communicating with vendors was difficult in knowing which sizes were correct for certain products. The lack of how-to-measure guides increased the confusion our customers had if some brands ran larger or smaller.

Updating and organizing previous size charts were painfully and difficult to manage for our Merchants. And the current tool limited the amount of information they could present to our customer.

We believed that creating XLS templates, curated based on division, would help set a common practice for both our Merchants and Vendors. It would systemize and enforce formatting with naming conventions.

We also wanted to include informative on-boarding tab for merchants to learn the new process. And to enforce the standard across all size charts, we limited the types of measurements needed for each division.

And to help our customers find the right fit for each product, we added new how-to-measure guides that would help distinguish if certain brands ran large or small.

  • Vendors and Merch commonly use XLS to complete their work.
  • Enforcing standard by locking headers and only allowing input for displayed measurements.
  • Allowing flexibility between vendors in making certain measurements optional vs required.
  • Formatting correction for naming and numeric sizes after upload.
  • Dynamically attaching new how-to-measure guides.

Wireframe


Designs